When trying something new, there is a very important period of brainstorming and creative process that occurs before you begin. Creativity can be extremely beneficial in situations and places that you usually wouldn't associate with being creative, such as work or school. Most people have difficulty with this because there's always a risk involved when offering creative solutions and ideas. But widening your mind to creativity can better help you to understand one another. Dr. Ron Beghetto, an internationally recognized expert on creative thought and action in educational settings explains that Creative self-efficacy" is a specific type of creative self-confidence that helps shape more global beliefs about our creative abilities and identity. His own experience with this comes from his time cooking. He talks about his comfort in the kitchen when presented with new ingredients and it's just he and his family but how he feels much more insecure in a less private setting and is less likely to take creative risk. He also explains the positive affects beautiful risk taking can have in a school environment. A Ted Talk I watched last week explains something similar. The speaker explained how school environments teach us to think relatively. It explained the importance of lateral thinking or "the solving of problems by a creative approach" and the benefits of having fresh eyes observe your work, or someone who is not a part of it. The class tried an "introduction" assignment after that, by choosing something you like and making writing about how it relates to you. I chose books and while I do not think I revealed anything to bizarre about myself I do think I talked about things I would not normally when first meeting someone. I think I was definitely a creative way to introduce yourself and a way to not only open your mind to yourself but to other people.
Furthermore, after examining two magazines that relate to my "genre and medium" I found that they were very creative. In fact, the entire point of the two magazines is to sell creativity in house decorating. The magazines, which were both categorized as "special Interest" never stray from this topic and are even consistent throughout the advertisements. In my own magazine I plan to repeat what they've done. I'd like to express creativity through the main image on the cover. While my concept will not be overly creative, I hope that my design will. Obviously, there are several other magazines with the same topic, but I want the look of mine to be what is interesting and unique. I'm most excited about the staging for my pictures and the different pull quotes that I can add to my magazine.
Comments
Post a Comment