This week our class presented and reviewed each others portfolio projects. During this time I got a lot of inspiration from other peoples magazines. For example I noticed that many people used boarders for there magazines, something I had not thought of before and now am seriously considering adding. I also noticed that many people had very creative ideas for there cover photo. One magazine used a green screen to add a very eye capturing background to there cover, again something that had not even crossed my mind as a possibility.
I also received a lot of helpful feedback when I presented my own portfolio project. Initially, I had gone into it expecting that my magazine was perfect the way it was. but after hearing critiques from my class mates I discovered that there where plenty of improvements I could make. I was pleased to see that many people liked my cover page. I received good feed back on the masthead, "A Pet's Palace" and teaser articles. I was told however that the shade of green I used for my mast head was too bright and that I should tone it down to better match it with my picture. I also received a few comments about my grammar, where I spelled the word aesthetic wrong, and realized too late that I had not added a selling line.
My content page was something I was initially very proud of, but later something I realized needed more work after the peer review. The biggest thing was that it looked slightly boring with large blocks of text and only two pictures hanging on the side. Many people told me that I needed to break up the text and either add more pictures or replace the ones I already have. But, the class did comment on the excellent job I did on matching the color of the words with the photos, something I actually did purposefully. I was also told I had the perfect amount of articles listed, again something I put a lot of work into doing.
As for my two feature pages, I also received relatively good and helpful feed back. For one thing, everyone seemed more excited about my idea after seeing the pictures and article on the feature page. I believe this was because the eye capturing photos I added and the way I broke up the text. I received the best feedback on these pages. A few people commented that my color selection was good and that the variety of fonts I used made the magazine look more interesting. I was told that I should shorten the quote on my first feature article page because it is too lengthy and wordy, a suggestion I strongly agree with.
Overall, I was very pleased with my feedback and agreed completely with many of my suggestions. I'm looking forward editing my magazine and making something that I can be more confident in. I've already begun to improve my cover page.


Comments
Post a Comment